Preparing for your Appointments
What to Wear
- Continue taking your medications and your normal diet
- Wear comfortable and easy-to-remove clothes and shoes
- Remove jewelry (e.g. for neck and shoulder pain, remove necklaces)
- Bring your health information summary
- If you have pain in your shoulders, back or neck please wear a tank top and if you have long hair, be prepared to pull it back with a clip or elastic.
- If you have pain in your hips or knees, please wear or bring a pair of shorts or loose fitting pair of pants if we are treating your legs or hips
- Consider bringing your own soft blanket or towel if you prefer fabric covering rather than the paper blankets available at the clinic
- Please bring your own gown if you prefer to wear one during treatments
- Bring your camera! We would like to take pictures of you to point out any issues we see with your posture and for your future reference
- Wear light coloured clothing
- Use any perfumes or perfume products as many of our staff and other patients have allergies
Your First Individual Consultation
Your first one-on-one appointment with a doctor will take about one hour. When you arrive, you will be asked to complete some intake questionnaires. You will then see a physician to get assessed and receive your recommended pain management plan. You might receive a trial treatment during the consultation it that is right for you.
- As a courtesy, we will provide appointment reminders by email for patients who request this service
- You are responsible for arriving at your appointment on time, whether or not you receive a reminder
Missed Appointment Fees
- We will charge you if you miss an appointment without notifying us at least 24 hours in advance
- If you are sick – please call or email us to cancel and rebook your appointment
- Please see our Fee Schedule for more information on Missed Appointment Fees
Follow Up Appointments and Next Steps
You make further appointments according to your recommended plan.
As your pain changes, we revise your treatment plan as needed.
If you do not benefit from the initial treatment course or have plateaued in your progress, we may recommend other types of treatments delivered at CHANGEpain or refer you to other community services.
Some pain services are not covered by MSP, and fees may apply. We will always let you know in advance if we recommend treatments that have fees that you may have to pay personally or through your extended health care program.
Our goal is that you resolve your pain or become confident in self-managing your condition within 12 months of your first appointment at CHANGEpain.
If you need help in “self-managing”, your CHANGEpain physician and our team of facilitators will help you connect with the community resources if you need ongoing care.
Examples of resources we might connect you with when necessary are physiotherapist, yoga programs, registered massage therapists, kinesiologists, IMS providers, psychologists, counsellors, nutritionists and others.